Saturday, August 28, 2010


MONDAY, JANUARY 4, 2010

Making Chippy Safe

I cannot tell you how many times I have brought the cutest chippiest painted antique health hazard home from a yard sale or flea market.  Shabby Chic made chippy desireable, but it's rarely mentioned how dangerous it can be for a home with little ones.  So, what's a girl to do when she has 2 toddlers who are going to want to eat the chippy paint on her latest find?  For a couple of years, all of those pieces in my home have been painted over, sold or banished to the basement. 

One of the pieces I couldn't part with or paint is my antique iron crib with chippy white paint.  Now, because of some furniture rearranging, I have room for my crib.  It is one of my most favorite finds, so I was thrilled at the idea that I could use it again. The chippy paint put a damper on that excitement.  Something had to be done to make it safe for my boys.
I pulled it out of the recesses of the basement and brought it into my painting booth.  I rubbed the entire crib with fine steal wool to remove any chipping paint.  (Make sure you wear a respirator throughout this process, chippy lead paint can be a hazard to you as well!)
I then wiped it down with a damp cloth.
A couple of coats of Krylon spray poly in satin, 30 minutes, and one sore finger later...and it was safe to  bring up from the basement.  Well, I had to let it dry, which really tested my patience!
I love this antique crib set up as a day bed.  It's actually very comfortable to curl up on.
Now, I just need to convince hubby...

Miss Mustard Seed

Make sure to come back to share your furniture post at my Furniture Feature Friday link party.

No comments:

Post a Comment