Thursday, November 18, 2010



Glass Tile Pendants

Remember when I gave a pendant to a random follower? Sad you didn't win?  Well don't fret because I'm going to do a quick run-down on how to make a glass tile pendant.  I first saw a how-to atTrey and Lucy but have seen several other tutorials as well.  Here's my take.

If you're feeling the crafty groove, you can make some similiar to mine - and they can end up costing less than $1.70 each - wow!  Perfect for gifts.  What a great craft - I had one mom comment to me "this is a great craft that spans all ages - my daughter (7 yrs old) could do it and so could I and my mother - and we all enjoyed it!"

First gather your supplies - you'll need:
--a glass tile,
--a bail (that's the hook that goes on the back),
--paper or fabric design,
--diamond glaze and a small paintbrush,
--superglue,
--and a chain to hang it on.

I bought all my supplies from CandyTiles and was really impressed.  I especially like her bundle packs - you don't have to think because it has everything - you can get 20 bails, 20 tiles, 20 chains, and a bottle of diamond glaze for $33.50 - perfect.  And prices get better as you order more - I organized this craft for moms to do at our playgroup and ended up ordering 2 100 Bundle Packs - so make it a party!
** update - 10% off at CandyTiles if you enter "SugarBeez" in the message area when you check out**

Take your tile, and trace it onto your paper.  Then cut it out slightly inside the lines.  You can use an exacto knife but I just used scissors.  Hold it up with your tile on top of it to check the size - you don't want any paper sticking out behind the edge.
Squirt your diamond glaze on the back of the tile - about pea size.  Use a small paintbrush to spread it out - enough to coat the back of the tile but not so much that it's going to ooze.
Then while the diamond glaze is still wet set your paper face-down onto it.  Rub the paper to get a really good seal.
Let dry for 5-10 mintues or longer.  Then squirt diamond glaze on the back of the paper and spread it out with a paintbrush to seal in your paper.  Let dry several hours.  Then using superglue, glue your bails to the back. (Don't use Gorilla Glue - it foams a little so it won't look as clean around your bail)
We had a great time making these - and so will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment