Monday, July 26, 2010

Numbered Tags


rench Enameled Numbers


I've been perusing french blogs lately. I can't read a lick of the language but haven't taken the time to Google translate because I'm mesmerized by the pictures. One item I run across time and again are those wonderful enameled numbers. (I read that they are vintage wine barrel markers) I've been dying to create my own.

The trick seems to be in finding the blank tags. I got these brass ones at my local True Value hardware store in the key department. You might even try a pet store. If all that fails, google "metal tags" for lots of sources on the internet.

Materials
metal tags
sand paper
white spray paint
StazOn ink pad
clear embossing powder
parchment paper
twine

Tools
number rubber stamps
electric fry pan
spatula

Lightly sand the tags to provide a tooth for the spray paint.

Spray the tags with white paint then allow to dry. Using black StazOn ink, carefully stamp numbers in the center of the tags, beneath the holes. *note - placement of the numbers was the hardest part. I think I will invest in clear number stamps in the future.

Place a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil on the surface of an electric pan. Turn the heat to 350ยบ and heat tags for about 30 seconds. Remove with a spatula and place on a piece of copy paper. *Even though I show a large number of tags, it's better to do just few at a time.

Immediately cover the tags with clear embossing powder. The heat from the tags will warm the powder and slightly melt it. When cool, shake off the excess powder. Place them back on the fry pan until the powder fully melts. (just a minute or two) Remove.

I threaded twine through the hole and wrapped it around an old mason jar.


I've seen these tied to candles, flower pots and glass cloches. Perhaps for table numbers at a wedding? Tag your own wine?

Enjoy a little bit of France in your part of the world. Tres jolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment